Tuesday, April 13, 2010

ZIP A DEE DO DA



And Chef Ellerbe was a buzzing around us like a bee, tasting this, tasting that and moving on to his normal class next door. His comments to our dishes and flavor profile have come to help Annette and I get our act together. In the meantime my stomach had butterflies a flutter, I am little nervous.
Our other challenge on Saturday was such a bomb we didn’t even take pictures of the darn plates. Think we finally learned, no puff pastry around the beef, put flour on the bottom of ramekins to remove the torte easier, and no frozen mixed vegetables in the soup just to have vegetables and that is all there is in the cooler to use.
Annette I found our rhythm and flavor profile hopefully in time for Friday’s Student Showdown. Annette did the absolute best plate presentation of our chocolate torte. We nailed the timing of beef cooking, and hopefully a solid sauce to drape over it. The soup was spicy and full of fun color and taste. Chef Emi had a chance in showing us her version of plating up the chocolate torte. No matter what it looks like on the plate, it’s wonderful. It's nice to see Chef Emi cook and show her talent. It's the best teaching method.
I was bummed to not do my pasta dough. All of our dough spoiled over the weekend. Just as well, there was not enough time to roll out dough, and still practice for the challenge. Maybe I can make some dough like James did at home and bring it in to use on Wednesday for fun.  Everyone else, who had good dough to work with, had some really inventive dishes. koodo’s to Ashley and Randy for creating ravioli with freshly ground meat. James did a nice plate of spicy ginger beef over his noodles and someone made some really great spaghetti. I enjoyed Nicole's version of Tortilla Espanola. I only wish we had enough time to savor everything, talk to the other chef students about their techniques and still do cleanup, without feeling so pressured.

1 comment: